miércoles, 4 de mayo de 2011

A new found phobia.


I’ve never been afraid of an animal. I didn’t inherit my dad’s fear of snakes, nor do I share my brother’s fear of spiders. I mean, I am not a fan of snakes, especially when I see them in their natural habitat but I can handle being around them. Spiders don’t really freak me out, except for the time my 8th grade English teacher squashed one and hundreds of spider babies fled from its squished body… that was nasty, but not necessarily scary. No, leave it to me to be afraid of much more legitimate things, like Mickey Mouse and Santa Clause. Ok, so I am not afraid of people dressed up anymore, well not really anyway. My heart still beats really fast when I am approached by someone in costume, but I don’t hide under the table, like I did when I was a child at Chucky Cheese birthday parties, or when Santa came out at the annual Christmas Brunch my family attended… I have grown out of that phase. So, up until today I could honestly say that I was living with no real intense fear of anything. Then I arrived home and found a furry thing with wings waiting for me. My reaction was “HOLY MOTHER OF GOD WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU?!?!” My host mother ran to see what it was I was yelling about in English… I apparently sounded panicked. She laughed and said “Oh Laurita solo es un mariposa.” Translated, “Oh little Laura, its only a butterfly.” I am often looked at like I am crazy for saying things wrong in Spanish, or when I try to explain things that happen in America, like the Easter Bunny… but now it was my time to look at my host mom like she was crazy. This ain’t no butterfly, woman. This looks like the outcome of a bat and tarantula mating session. I am not afraid of bats. I am not afraid of tarantulas. I am now, however, super afraid of what I believe is the mix between the two. It hasn’t done anything to me…yet. Well actually, it hasn’t even moved from the spot on the wall where I first encountered it two hours ago. But I have a feeling this thing has the ability to attack and kill. Maybe I am being a bit dramatic, but I’ve never seen anything like it. I think that is what scares me the most about it. It is only 4 inches from the tip of one wing to the tip of the other. It has very furry legs, two that poke out by its creepy little face like they are going to grab you at any minute. It also has longer hair by its face that, to me, resembles an old man’s bushy eyebrows the poke out in all sorts of directions and curl up. Why am I wasting all this time explaining it to you… a picture is worth a thousand words, right? 


Freaky, am I right? I think I am going to need to pop a few Tylenol PM to have any chance at sleeping tonight. 

Oh, and while we are on the subject of my host family often thinking I am crazy... 
Remember my post a few weeks back when I spoke of a juice that was served to me and I claimed it looked like fish eggs and everyone called me crazy... Well I promised y'all a picture of that the next time I was served it so here is that photo, for your entertainment. 


Am I the only one out there that thinks this "juice" looks like fish eggs?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario