martes, 12 de abril de 2011

"POP!" That's the sound of my personal bubble...


There are some days where I wish my students could just understand and respect the idea of personal space. Yes, this probably is asking a little much of elementary aged students. However, I fear that one day I might snap.

From the moment I arrive to school at 7 am, I am bombarded with bositos (kisses on the check) and abrazos (hugs). Yes, these are the same kisses and hugs that melted my heart three months ago… and yes, they still do, at times, make me feel so loved and appreciated. However, there are times where I just want a minute to breathe. There is always a student around, even during my free time. I sit at my desk, working on lesson plans and students hover over my shoulders, watching me work, kissing me on the cheek, wrapping their arms tightly around my throat, playing with my hair… constantly popping my personal bubble. All while I am trying to get things done. For example, right now, one of my fifth grade boys, Sergio, is standing over my shoulder watching me type this. Really, Sergio? How interesting can this possibly be? I can feel is breath on the back of my neck, and that is kind of creeping/grossing me out. I can feel the tension growing my body. I am repeating in my head “he is just a curious kid, he isn’t doing anything wrong.” Yet, I am having to repress the urge to ask him to please step away and stop breathing on me. 

Clearly, I need a break. Thank God it is almost Semana Santa and I will have 9 days off. I am flying back to the States this Thursday and I am really looking forward to a hot shower and sleeping on a mattress instead of a piece of foam. I am looking forward to a nights sleep uninterrupted by sounds of talking, chickens, cows, tractors, and sugar cane trucks. I am looking forward to a break from rice and beans. I am looking forward to a break from my 13-year-old host brother who has been acting like a brat towards me ever since I went to the Shakira concert without him, even though his mother would have never allowed him to go. I am looking forward to a week of rejuvenation.

I don’t mean to sound so tortured. I couldn’t ask for a better experience. I really do love it here. Costa Rica has become a second home to me. I love this country. I love my host family. I love the many friends I have met here. I love my students (minus their hot breath against my neck). I love my town. I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything. Every day is an adventure and I am constantly learning new things. My students teach me things about myself that I have never before realized. They are great kids, so willing to learn. I think that it is only fair that I put up with them constantly butting into my personal space. So welcome, Sergio, Andres, Steven, and Angie… Welcome to my personal bubble, so glad you are here!

2 comentarios:

  1. This post is so great!!!
    The teacher before me put a duct tape line on the floor by her desk that they kids weren't allowed to cross, which is a pretty good idea actually. I haven't been too strict about it though, so sometimes when the kids get a little too much up in ma grill I ask them to take a few steps back. Works well enough without totally crushing them!
    This blog made me laugh out loud, totally know what you're going through. Have fun at home girl! Jealous!!
    :) Steff

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks Steff! The duct tape line is a good idea... I might have to try that.

    ResponderEliminar