viernes, 4 de marzo de 2011

Staying Busy...


I had already figured out, from my first experience here in Costa Rica two years ago, that staying busy is the trick to preventing homesickness. If I am constantly doing something, I don’t have much time to think about what I would be doing in the States if I weren’t here. Of course I miss my family and friends, I have missed them since the day I left.  However, reminding myself that living here is such an enriching experience helps me get through the hardest days. Also, it helps that I am placed in a town with internet access. Thank God for skype!

People often ask me if I am still ok with my decision to have graduated early, missing the second semester of my senior year. As of now, I have no regrets. Certainly there are times where I wish I could be back at the Presbyterian College fraternity houses, being carefree and dancing with my friends. But then I think about how much more difficult it would have been for me to convince myself that coming here for a year was a responsible decision had I stayed for my final semester. Graduating early gave me the ability to take time off from the hustle of the States, where getting a job is on everyone’s mind. I have extra time to think what my next move will be, be it teaching, or graduate school, or maybe I’ll end up on some completely different path that hasn’t even occurred to me yet. And while I am pondering what will happen next January, I get to teach an amazing group of children an incredibly important tool for their future. So to me it is win, win. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t hard days that make me question my decision.

The hardest days are the days that school is cancelled, which is way too often. Teaching is a lot of work and requires all of my focus, and by the time the school day is over I am too exhausted to even think about missing home. It is the perfect distraction. However, days when classes are cancelled I am left to find other distractions to keep myself busy so that I don’t get bored. I have even gone on runs just to pass time. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am not into running for pleasure. From age three until my senior year of high school I was always playing a sport, and I always enjoyed playing sports. However, I never found enjoyment in just running for the heck of it. The last four years in college probably haven’t done anything to help that because, besides very sporadic visits to the gym, and dancing at Sigma Nu on Friday and Saturday nights, I was the least active I have ever been. Here I can actually find pleasure in running. Maybe it is because for thirty minutes I can tune into my ipod and tune out to everyone else. Maybe it is because I notice how much easier the three mile walk home from school is becoming the more I get used to controlling my breathing in the Mountain air. Or maybe I just crave an excuse to be out enjoying the beautiful Costa Rican mountains that surround me. Whatever the reason may be, I am hoping that it continues to inspire me to take runs on the days off from school.

Another thing that gets me through the hard days is the support system that I have here in Costa Rica. Besides and incredible host family, I am also a part of a great group of volunteers. I have created friendships that I know will last a lifetime. Talking to someone who experiences the same sort of struggles can sometimes be the best therapy. At least for me, it makes me feel like I am not alone. Also, I am particularly lucky because a Peace Corps volunteer is also placed in my town. She has become a good friend and I definitely enjoy hanging out with her, watching movies and speaking in English.

To my family and friends at home, I miss you all very much. I cannot wait to see you all again soon. And get excited, my host mom is teaching me how to bake all different sorts of bread. I look forward to sharing what I have learned with you all!

Also, I have been very slack about posting pictures so here are a few... 
Part of my host family in Orosi, our orientation town.




WorldTeach Costa Rica 2011 Volunteers

My Spanish Class in Orosi

My students in Mollejones

Audrey (Peace Corps Volunteer) and me at the waterfall in our town.
My house in Pacayitas






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario