jueves, 24 de marzo de 2011

Massage from Hell


I gave my first test today to all of my classes. I think I was more nervous than the students. The way I see it, their grades will partly reflect how effective I have been as a teacher. The test was completely oral and I graded them on pronunciation and comprehension. I have to say, I am very pleased with the outcome. Everyone passed, a couple barely, but barely passing is still passing. I am disappointed in the few who I know did not study, I know that if they put just a little more energy into it they could have all done very well. However, I am too proud of all the others who I know spent a lot of time studying to let myself be too upset about the few who could have done better. I am extremely impressed with my first graders. All received grades above 90. This is awesome considering my test was their first test ever in school. My students were very nervous because in order to pass into the next grade they have to pass every class. One of my second graders was sweating profusely during the whole test. All the classes waited anxiously outside my classroom while I graded the tests. It was very cool to see their relief when I told them they all passed. I am just as relieved as they are.

In other news, life is going well in Pacayitas. The people constantly amaze me and I feel so blessed to have been placed in a town that is filled with compassionate individuals. I have been having some pain in my shoulder, so the other day my host mom made an appointment to go get a massage with Don Luis who is an older, well respected man in the town. I was really looking forward to my massage, up until my walk to the his house. On my way to Don Luis’s house I was stopped many times along the way by cousins and friends, all of which asked me where I was going. When I told them I was going to get a massage from Don Luis, every single one responded with “oh, try not to cry.” Leaving me wondering what I had signed up for. Well, I soon found out that I had signed up for the deepest deep tissue massage that exists on this planet. It was a far from relaxing experience. He massaged mussels I did not know I had, and it was painful. I didn’t cry, instead I laughed because I was in so much shock by the pain I didn’t know what else to do but laugh at the situation. Don Luis seemed confused by my reaction and commented that I was his first patient to laugh and he has been massaging people for thirty years. Throughout the massage Don Luis’s one year old grandson kept peeking into the room and looked at me with a look of sympathy, knowing I was experiencing extreme discomfort. When the massage was over I was afraid to move, I half expected to find my body covered in bruises. I tried to pay Don Luis but he would not take my money. Sore and exhausted from the experience, I walked back to my house and immediately went to sleep. I woke up the next morning completely pain free. My shoulder was no longer aching and I felt the best I have felt in a long time. I saw Don Luis later that afternoon and thanked him again and again. Then he informed me that I have a follow up appointment next week because he is still concerned about my shoulder. Suddenly, I wanted to cry. The thought of going through the pain again is terrifying, I don’t know if it is worth feeling so good the next day. I am afraid that if I do go to the next appointment that I won’t be able to laugh off the pain…  

Wish me luck.

1 comentario:

  1. I love reading about your feelings as a teacher. It makes me smile. Good luck with the massage. Just keep remembering how much better you feel after while enduring the pain. It may help.

    ResponderEliminar