lunes, 27 de junio de 2011

Teaching Buddy Site Visit


Last week I ventured to Playa San Miguel in Guanacaste to observe my teaching buddy, Callie. I was looking forward to visiting a different part of the country and getting a glimpse into what life is like for a volunteer in another town. I wasn’t, however, looking forward to the 12-hour journey. I split the trip up by staying in San Jose and leaving early on a 6 am bus to Playa San Miguel. It was about an 8 hour bus ride. Luckily, I had my good friend Angie traveling with me because she too was doing a site visit with another volunteer, Allie, who lives in the town next to Callie’s. About five hours into the bus ride we could feel the temperature change. It was HOT. Both Angie and I live in mountain sites so we are used to temperatures in the 80’s during the day and 60’s-70’s at night. Guanacaste is a different story it is hot 24/7. Callie and Allie were waiting for us at the bus stop in Playa San Miguel. We ate a quick lunch, put on our bathing suits, and went to the beach. Callie lives on a beautiful, white sand, clear blue water, secluded beach. We spent the whole afternoon soaking up the sun and playing in the water. That night we went to a local restaurant that a gringo owns and indulged in some cheeseburgers and pizza… so good! We all stayed the night at Callie’s. Her host family owns a house that they rent out to tourist and they let us stay in it since Callie’s bedroom only has two camp sized beds. The bedroom in the rental house had a ceiling fan which kept the room cool enough for a good night sleep. I woke up ready for another day at the beach. After breakfast we all went to the beach for a bit before Allie and Angie had to catch the bus to Allie’s town. Callie and I spent some more time at the beach before heading back to her house to celebrate her host mom’s birthday with a ton of family members. Callie’s host mom made me plate of food that included a mountain of rice and beans (duh), two gigantic pieces of chicken, two chicharones (homemade pork rines), and salad. I looked at Callie with a worried expression and exclaimed that I would never be able to eat this much. I tried my best. I finished one piece of chicken, one chicharone, the salad, and ¼ of the rice and beans. The giant but very gentle Rottweiler, Jako, got my leftovers. After lunch, Callie and I went down to the restaurant to use their Internet and call our daddies to wish them a Happy Father’s Day. We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing.

On Monday morning we woke up at 5:30, ate some breakfast, and headed off to Callie’s school. We were a little worried that she wouldn’t have class. Callie’s school is run a little differently than mine. Her director doesn’t seem to care much about holding class so he just doesn’t. She normally has about 2 or 3 days of class a week at most. Even though she had asked told her director I was coming to observe, and even though he reassured her she would have class, we had heard that the dentist was coming to the school and their might not be classes. We felt better when we got to school and saw the students in their uniforms. It looked promising. The director informed us that Callie would hold class until 8:30 when the dentist came and then would hold classes in the afternoon. I got to observe Callie teach one and a half classes. She taught her first class, and then when the dentist didn’t arrive at 8:30 she taught her fifth grades for about 15 minutes. The dentist arrived and set up shop in Callie’s classroom. Callie and I hung out in the dining area. The dentist weren’t just doing cleanings. They were pulling teeth and doing other procedures as well. Callie and I realized that they weren’t going to be done in time for afternoon classes, however, her director told us to wait anyway. After 3 hours of waiting in the dining area, her director finally admitted that there wouldn’t be time for afternoon classes and we walked home and spent the rest of the afternoon napping on the beach. Rough life, I know.

It was unfortunate that I only got to see Callie teach one and a half classes, but I am happy that I got to observe something. It was helpful to see another school and a different teaching style. Callie’s students love her, she is a lot of fun in the classroom and even with their limited days of school, it is obvious that they are learning a lot. Their English level is way higher than my students, as they have had English teachers for the past 5 years. Also, lots of Americans have moved to the area, and some of them have bilingual parents. I am the first year long English teacher at my school so my kids still have a ways to go. Callie also has to deal with more severe learning disabilities that I do. Yes, I have some students that are slower, or that have ADD, but nothing that is too hard to handle. Callie has students that have been abused, sexually, physically, and emotionally, which has understandably caused them to have severe social issues and learning disabilities. It is heartbreaking, but Callie seems to be doing a great job managing these students. Even though she is not required, she still takes the time to independently teach English to these students who have severe learning disabilities.

I left Playa San Miguel at 2:30 in the morning Tuesday night. I woke up at 2 am and Jako, the Rottweiler, accompanied me on the 15-minute walk to the bus stop, scaring away the GIANT crabs and a possum like thing. I was very grateful to have him with me. He sat with me until the bus came and once I was on it he made his way back home and Angie and I made our way back to San Jose. 

It was a great trip but I am happy to be back in the much cooler mountains with my students! 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario